Sonja's Outdoor World

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Frisco Gold Rush Race Results


I ran the snowshoe race at the Frisco Gold Rush today. This was the first race in my new snowshoes (pictured here) that I bought off ebay! I practiced in them a little on Saturday with my friend Amy, but apparently not enough because I tripped myself not once, not twice, but three times during the race.
The race was 7K (4.35 miles), and was a big loop from the Frisco Nordic Center. It went through some trees, and then most of it was on Lake Dillon. Everyone thought the portion on Lake Dillon would be nice and packed (or icy), but it was actually shin deep powder. The entire course was ungroomed, which was different for me, but a really good experience as well. It was hard, the added distance was hard and the terrain was tricky.
I placed 6th amongst the women, and first in the 20-29 age group. My time was 43:25, which is approximately 9:58 minute mile average. I felt really good about it, and I got a medal :)

3 Comments:

  • way to go, sonja! :)

    my parents went to a timeshare in dillon (on the lake) a few years ago and we stayed with them for a few days. neat little area.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 PM  

  • Yea! I am glad you did so well and earned a medal. How fun. Even if you need to take a step back from all the training, you are still kicking butt in your races, and you should be very proud of yourself. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

  • Thanks! I really liked the Dillon area too, with all the snow right now, it's just awesome!

    By Blogger gosonja, at 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home